RE: Which Character Set for 9.2

  • From: "Joel Garry" <joelgarry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 10:23:31 -0700

>Why is the 8 bits good and 7 bits bad?
>Is there any valid reason?
>
>-- Babu

I once worked on a military contract.  Since at the time it was
difficult to switch charactersets in a database, I made very sure to ask
if they will _ever_ need to use 8 bits.  The predictable answer was, of
course, "no, this is an American military system, everything in it will
_always_ be in American English."

Naturally, they wound up having to handle descriptions of things for
allies, with various languages.

There isn't a problem per se with storing 8 bit characters in a 7 bit
characterset, assuming whatever is moving the data in and out handles it
properly.

Export/import is very friendly and smart, so it will handle character
set conversions for you.  So if you export out of the 7 bit database,
and into an 8 bit character set database, your data will be changed.  I
saw one case where a product had used their own counting instead of
sequences, so simply importing screwed up the data once it got to 8
bits.

Nowadays Oracle includes tools with the character set changing stuff to
allow you to see what might happen.

http://www.garry.to