RE: Where should DBA's be placed in an Organization

  • From: Daniel Fink <danielwfink@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 07:07:37 -0700 (PDT)

In most organizations I have worked with, there are 2 types of DBA, Development
and Operations. In some organizations, they are combined.

Development - part of the development/project team. Supports development/test
systems. More focused on design and coding. If you don't do in house
development, this role may be more of Application support (installing/testing
new code from vendor with some test system support)

Operations - part of the infrastructure/operations team. Supports
production/pseudo-production (staging/qa) systems. More focused on
backup/recovery, tuning.

To be successful, you need to have both types overlap. Dev DBAs are valuable in
production support to understand how the users/application are interacting with
the database system; Ops DBAs have the experience that provides valuable input
in the architecture phase of a system.

Of course, it is really not a technical issue, it is one of organizational
politics. It is not unusual to see Development and Operations groups that don't
"get along".

Daniel Fink

Very non technical question, but I would appreciate people's views on    where
the DBA  function should reside. In our organization we have    Infrastructure
support and Applications. I personally want to be with    Applications as I
feel we have much more to contribute, and if locked away in    infrastructure
we dont get to know about projects until they have been    completed. We have a
lot of input in Applications from evaluations of    solutions, integration to
working with developers. We should also be at the    forefront with issues such
as Datawarehousing/mining etc.. I would appreciate    your views and help me
make a case to present to my management. By the way we    are in Infrastructure
at the moment.  The DBA role is changing and we    need to be more proactive,
   thanks

   sam