Where should DBA's be placed in an Organization

  • From: "sam roberts" <sam112233@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 14:50:27 +0400

Very non technical question, but I would appreciate people's views on where
the DBA  function should reside. In our organization we have Infrastructure
support and Applications. I personally want to be with Applications as I
feel we have much more to contribute, and if locked away in infrastructure
we dont get to know about projects until they have been completed. We have a
lot of input in Applications from evaluations of solutions, integration to
working with developers. We should also be at the forefront with issues such
as Datawarehousing/mining etc.. I would appreciate your views and help me
make a case to present to my management. By the way we are in Infrastructure
at the moment.  The DBA role is changing and we need to be more proactive,
thanks

sam