Re: When to use _disable_logging on Oracle 10g Release 2

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juancarlosreyesp@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 18:52:25 +0100

On 10/11/05, Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco <juancarlosreyesp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> Well after a stress tests, and other test, in the previous days,
> losing a test database because redo logs corruption.
>
> using the parameter _disable_logging on Oracle 10g Release 2 and
> thanks to several comments in this list I can say.
>
> You can get useful improvements using this paramters, but...

<snip>

2)
> The only reason I found feasible to use it is when you have to import
> urgently (for example for a presentation) in 0:30 or tomorrow.
> Otherwise you can end losing your database.

nope. you can always end up losing your database with this set, you better
recognise it. time pressure is irrelevant (well actually improves the
likelihood of making a simple error and losing the db yourself)
_disable_logging would be better renamed
_I_REALLY_REALLY_REALLY_DONT_CARE_ABOUT_THIS_DATA. If you set it, that is
what you mean.

oh, and importing for a presentation, what a weird pressure on a database.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA