RE: When to rebuild the index?

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Chirag DBA" <chiragdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 11:43:02 -0700

Just my opinion - I've learned to be skeptical of anything I read on that site.
 Tom Kyte, Jonathan Lewis and the rest of the Oak Table would probably agree.
I can only recommend that you test things for yourself and avoid compulsive
maintenance - that is, you should only do something (e.g. rebuild an index) if
there is a measurable positive result, otherwise you're wasting resources that
could be better spent elsewhere.  So, you could count me in the group that Don
describes as those who "maintain that Oracle indexes should "rarely" be
rebuilt."