Re: When stats trash your performance

  • From: stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 21:56:58 +0000

On 07/12/05, Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ultimately, I think there are two schools of thought here:
> 1.)  If the system is stable, don't analyze objects.  Leave the stats
> where they are, and Oracle will continue to supply stable execution plans.
> This is the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought.
>
> 2.)  Analyze early and often.  The CBO is far smarter than I ever will
> be.  The better my stats are, the better off my performance will be.  This
> is the "I have faith in the church of Oracle.  Oracle is the one true light,
> and the way." school of thought.

I tend to lean more towards the cautious "If it ain't broke don't fix it,
unless it looks like there's a compelling reason to."  Because we tend to
run packaged apps from software vendors (this particular one is a Forms 6i
app for managing planning permission applications) I tend to find out from
them what they reccommend, assume they know the app better than me, until
shown otherwise.

In my shop, we are fortunate enough to have a full preproduction environment
> which is equal in size to production.  Every 3-6 months, we clone from prod
> into preprod, so we have fresh data.

That's what I'd like to do, but see comments about the organisation in my
other replies.

Finally, I gotta ask:  Why the heck are you bouncing for nightly backups on
> a production server?  Hot backups are a good thing! ;-)

In this case it's a business hours only app so it's difficult to make an
arguement for hot backups.  There's also the fact that most of the databases
we have are managed by people with little or no Oracle training or knowledge
who have been running the same backup scripts for years so it's hard to get
them to try something new.  A couple of years ago I tried to get one of the
DBAs at our FM supplier to consider hot backups (he'd been telling our
management that making one of our systems 24x7 was unsupportable as we'd
need at least one outage a week to do a cold backup) and his response was
that hot backups are inherantly unreliable.

I'm looking at RMAN for our newer apps, many of which have to be 24x7.

Stephen

http://stephensorablog.blogspot.com/