RE: When stats trash your performance

  • From: "Charudatta Joshi" <joshic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <malcolmarnold@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 14:52:00 +0530

Malcolm,

Good point about backing up stats which wasn't mentioned before in this
thread. I will just pitch it stronger:

NEVER start gathering statistics until you have exported the earlier
stats.

Stephen, have you checked if the person gathering stats had exported the
earlier ones by any chance? Also, there might be chance of getting the
original stats from your last backup, if you can restore it on a
different host.

Mark Farnham's solution based on a repository of SQL queries is very
nice. In fact a full-fledged product could be constructed on that
concept.

Regards,
Charu.