Re: When is 11gR2 getting released?

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 16:02:57 -0700

Just another perspective on all this...

When a vendor ceases fixing bugs in a product, it might then finally be considered fully tested and production-ready.  Using this perspective, 9iR2 became production-ready in July 2007, 10gR1 is scheduled to become production-ready this month (January 2009), and 10gR2 will become production-ready in July 2010.  So, "end of support" need not mean "end of product lifecycle", but rather "end of development" and the beginning of the production lifecycle.

Of course, very few shops have this perspective, as Oracle (and most software vendors) has infected the community with the idea that "end of support" means "upgrade to next version".  After all, the real revenue stream is in support and education (not licenses) and the driver for both support and education is change, not stability...

Niall Litchfield wrote:
I think my answer to that would be that any y release, where the Oracle version is x.y.nnnnn is, or should be treated as, a new release.

consider - and a bank will know

7.3 vs 7.2
8.1 vs 8.0
9.2 vs 9.0
10.2 vs 10.1

all of these *introduced* significant new features. I can see the attitude that says, wait for 11.1.0.7,  that will provide bug fixes. I can't really see why waiting for 11.2x which will provide new stuff no-one has seen, will be a safer bet.

Niall

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 9:20 PM, Vishal Gupta <vishal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Cheers,
Vishal Gupta

On 7 Jan 2009, at 22:13, "Vishal Gupta" <vishal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I normally tend to go by the rule that don't roll out major version to
production in it's first release. I would rather wait for 11.2 to get
all the teething problems of 11g to be ironed out.

I work for an investment bank and hitting a bug proves to be very
costly. I can't wait forever/ a year fir a bug to be fixed by oracle
support or go through a tar dance ( as tom kyte would out it) for a
production problem which is affecting my production system right now.
I know some would say that problem should already have been identified
in testing phase. But most of the imtime it is not possible to test
every bit of code against a new release for every system in the company.

Cheers,
Vishal Gupta

On 7 Jan 2009, at 21:58, "Martin Berger" <martin.a.berger@xxxxxxxxx

--