RE: :) What you can't do in java you can do in perl

  • From: "Orr, Steve" <sorr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Anthony Molinaro" <amolinaro@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 16:28:06 -0600

Thanks for the support and nice post but I maintain that Python is also
excellent for scripting. We manage 300+ servers with Python scripts.
(We've been rated in the top 25 ASPs.) We have built tons of our own
utilities and we monitor everything in sight. We manage and restart our
web servers and DNS servers with Python. We also manage our on demand
software and customer driven upgrades with Python. Our staff of
SysAdmins and DBAs were able to become fluent and productive in Python
in a relatively short period of time. I've done Perl and I'd hate to
think of what our utilities would look like with a multi-developer
effort in Perl. (Some of our SysAdmin types really slam out the
"whatever-it-works" code without giving thought to architecture and
supportability.) It's altogether too easy to write obtuse code in Perl
but in Python it takes conscious devious effort to obfuscate the code
IMHO.

Nevertheless, bash, awk and the like are here to stay too.

Also, we do all our web apps in Python which has lots of open source yet
mature library modules. We also access and drive C programs from Python.

There's a free Python app which allows you to develop your own
functional equivalent of a TIVO box on Linux so after hunting season is
over I'm going to give that a try and build my home theatre around
Python. Why does work get in the way of all the really fun stuff?

Steve Orr
Elk hunter in Bozeman, Montana