Re: What would you do with 8 disks?

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mhyder@xxxxxxxx, david.best@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 18:47:39 +0100

Well I can't quite believe that no-one has asked what the capacity
requirements are and the capacity that your server will hold, what the
recovery time requirements are, the disk controller config, the
capacity plan for the db, how many iops you need and so on. Still in
the absence of any of that, i'm quite happy to agree that raid 10/01
is nicer than raid 5, more economical per io, less economical per mb.
I'm also happy to agree that manual striping is much more fun than
letting the hardware and software do it and can sometimes be nearly as
good! Me, i'd try and get answers to the first set of questions and
see if we couldn't use technology such as the raid controllers and asm
to deal with the micromanagement of the second.

On 4/8/09, Mir M. Mirhashimali <mhyder@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I kinda like to spread my redo to several disks
>
> I have 4 disks and i write the redo logs as follows
>
> Disk1 - OS
> G01_M1 on disk2
> G01_M2 on disk3
> G02_M1 on disk3
> G02_M2 on disk4
> G03_M1 on disk4
> G03_M2 on disk2
>
> and so on
>
> this way redo is safe from disk failure.
>
> --
> Mir M. Mirhashimali
> Oracle Systems Manager
> Database Architecture, Enterprise Applications
> Rice University
> (713) 348 6365

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA