What is WRH$_SQL_BIND_METADATA used for?

  • From: "Weatherman, John" <John.Weatherman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 08:14:23 -0600

All,

This week I have suddenly seen what has been a very stable production
database, which switches logs about once every 6 hours, suddenly start
switch logs every minute for about 1 hour a day.  These are 20M logs, so
this is a lot of activity.  No one will admit to having scheduled any
new jobs or doing anything new.  I've done some log mining to try to see
just what objects are being modified.  The biggest offender by far seems
to be deletes on WRH$_SQL_BIND_METADATA.

Does anyone know what this table is being used for, beyond just AWR?  I
can't find any details on just what is stored in it and I am far from an
AWR internals expert.  I am sure that a "real" process is just forcing
it to be updated to reflect changes, but I would like to understand just
what it is really used for.  The second worst offender is an application
table, so I am really trying to understand why changes to the
application table might result in 3-5X as many changes to
WRH$_SQL_BIND_METADATA.

TIA,

John

John P Weatherman    john.weatherman@xxxxxxxxxxx

Sr Oracle DBA            Desk:   (615) 762-1376

Asurion, Inc                Mobile: (615) 517-2831