What does enabled column of dba_services mean?

  • From: Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 15:07:42 -0800 (PST)

Does anybody know what the enabled column of dba_services mean? Documentation
says "[it] Indicates whether this service will be started/maintained by the
director (YES) or not (NO)". But I don't know what "director" refers to. I
thought this was related to whether a service could be auto started when the
instance was started. But I've never seen a service whose enabled value is
'YES' (or equivalently sys.service$ having an odd number under the flags
column). `srvctl enable/disable service' does not change this value.

In case this matters, we're using Oracle 10.2.0.3, RH Linux, RAC.

Yong Huang

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs