RE: What does an app need to do to work with RAC

  • From: "Hameed, Amir" <Amir.Hameed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <john.hallas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:01:38 -0500

Please make sure that you correctly "identify" and apply all the 11i
patches that are needed for the 11i apps to work with RAC. I know it too
well because we were bitten by a patch that we were told not to apply
(by Oracle). Also, when you test your apps, make sure that you test
every functionality that currently exists in production. For example, we
never test printing in our production-simulated test environment because
the business had decided a long time ago not to print when running tests
that simulate production volume because we print a lot in production.
Guess what; the 11i patch that we were told not to apply ONLY shows its
impact when you print and that is why we did not catch it in testing and
until the implementation day and by that time it was too late to do
anything because the impact was so severe that the apps was crawling and
we had to rollback the entire implementation.
The message that I am trying to convey here is that when it comes to
configuring 11i with RAC, the task becomes a little more complicated. If
you need information on the 11i patch then I can forward it to you.

Amir