Re: What does "N" do in a WHERE clause?

  • From: "Rumpi Gravenstein" <rgravens@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 16:35:34 -0400

Rich,

The N is used to specify the literal is using the national character set.
Text entered using this notation is translated into the national character
set by Oracle.  All of this is documented in the SQL language manual under
text literals.

On 3/21/07, Rich Jesse <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hey all,

Getting used to a new Oracle 10.1.0.5.0 environment and am finding new and
fun things every day.  The latest I found is a SELECT statement, generated
by Crystal Enterprise 10 if it matters, that has an odd syntax that I
haven't seen before.  Here's a snip:

WHERE    NOT( MYTAB"."SDLNTY" = N'F'
              OR "MYTAB"."SDLNTY" = N'NS' )
AND      "MYTAB"."SDNXTR" < N'999'
AND      "MYTAB"."SDECST" = 0

The part that caught my eye in this loosely veiled query piece is the "N"
modifier, or whatever it is.  It doesn't look like a function, but it
seems
to be acting like CAST().  If it's important, the SQL is in ANSI syntax.

There's nothing that I could find browsing the SQL Reference doc and
trying
to Google "ANSI SQL N" didn't help, either.  ;)

Anyone seen this before?

TIA!
Rich

Rumpi Gravenstein