Re: What controls RMAN history size in controlfile?

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 15:31:28 -0500 (CDT)

Hey Robert,

> Hmmmm..... are you doing any backups using the keep option?

No, or not on purpose at least.  Until last week, I had scheduled my RMAN
backups via Grid Control (it was a feeble attempt at reducing maintenance
documentation and training, being a solo DBA).  I checked using "LIST BACKUP
SUMMARY" and confirmed from the DB with:

select *
from v$backup_piece
where deleted != 'YES'
order by start_time;

...and I only get the expected last 1 day+ of backups listed.  The query
sans the WHERE clause brings back 32K rows however.

> Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press)

That's on my desk, next to the 10g version.  :)

Thanks!
Rich