Re: What controls RMAN history size in controlfile?

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 14:38:27 -0500 (CDT)

Hey Niall,

>> No more than 20,000 blocks (likely 156mb) there's a hard limit. :( Do you
> actually *need* a controlfile autobackup every 15 minutes though?

Perhaps not.  But archivelog backups must be done every 15 minutes or
LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_1 will fill up during our regular data refreshes.  And
since I'm not using an RMAN catalog, autobackup is on.  I believe that
trying to manage when a controlfile backup is really needed and isn't would
be worse than the overhead I'm seeing now.

Thanks!
Rich