Re: What are the implications of running dbms_stats and analyze compute?

  • From: Ana Choto <achoto@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 11:52:34 -0400

This is the option I have run that have also helped.

DBMS_STATS.GATHER_TABLE_STATS(OWNNAME => <'owner'>, TABNAME =>
<'table_name'>, CASCADE => TRUE,method_opt=>'FOR ALL COLUMNS SIZE 1');

But, the developers insist on re-analyzing with analyze compute some of the
tables, but then not all of them are analyzed this way, the daily job is
running with dbms_stats as follows for all datawarehouse schemas.

exec dbms_stats.gather_schema_stats(ownname=>'<OWNER>',options=>'GATHER
AUTO',degree=>8,cascade=>TRUE,method_opt=>'FOR ALL COLUMNS SIZE 1');

My question is, if there is a problem by having tables analyzed with
dbms_stats and others with analyze compute.

Thanks

Ana E. Choto
American University
e-Operations - Information Technology
Phone (202) 885-2275
Fax      (202) 885-2224

             Wolfgang
             Breitling
             <breitliw@centrex                                          To
             cc.com>                   achoto@xxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                        cc
             08/09/2005 11:41          oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                       Re: What are the implications of
                                       running dbms_stats and analyze
                                       compute?

Try
DBMS_STATS.GATHER_TABLE_STATS(OWNNAME => <'owner'>, TABNAME =>
<'table_name'>, CASCADE => TRUE);

i.e. without the histograms on every column. That is equivalent to the
analyze table xxx compute statistics;

--
Regards

Wolfgang Breitling