RE: What am I missing with my RMAN archivelog backups

  • From: Norman Dunbar <oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mschmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxx, Alfredo Abate <alfredo.abate@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 May 2014 20:44:02 +0100

Greetings,

An archive log crosshead does not mark files as obsolete, it marks them as
expired.

List expired archive log all; will show them.

You can see them in the catalog view RC_ARCHIVE_LOG. Before the cross check
they most likely have STATUS='A' and after, the files that no longer exist on
disc will be changed to have STATUS='X'.

HTH

Cheers,
Norm.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note III - powered by  Three

<mschmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> </div><div>Date:02/05/2014  18:22  (GMT+00:00)
<oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> </div><div>Subject: RE: What am I missing with my RMAN
archivelog backups </div><div>

I only run the following crosscheck commands on a schedule as part of the
script:

crosscheck archivelog all;
crosscheck backup device type disk;

I just ran a manual "crosscheck backup device type sbt_tape;" now.  Everything
came back as available and it didn't change the obsolete info at all.

Thanks,
Mike