Re: Weird database hanging

  • From: "Don Seiler" <don@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 11:56:19 -0500

Well the mysterious 10-15 minutes instance hanging happened again
today.  It also happened two weeks ago.  Much better than 1-3 times
per day, but frustrating none-the-less.  From our vantage point,
Veritas *looks* to be in order this time.  I really need to increase
my familiarity with SAN/disk stuffs in general.

dba_hist_active_sess_history shows a boatload "latch: library cache"
and "latch: shared pool" wait events during the instance hanging.  As
before, nothing is printed to the alert log during the hanging, and
immediately after a flurry of connection timeout warnings get printed.

This morning's fun data is up at http://pastebin.ca/748150 .  Hanging
started ~ 10:43 AM.

I did run a hanganalyze and systemstate dump, although the latter
ended with a segfault.  If anyone is interested in those, feel free to
email me.

I'm reluctant to open another SR and be pushed back with "change your
application SQL" reponses.  Any help would be much appreciated and
thoroughly documented for everyone to enjoy.

To recap:
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.2.0 - 64bit Production
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 5)

--
Don Seiler
oracle: http://ora.seiler.us