Re: Weird database hanging

  • From: jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 14:38:01 +0100

All the symptoms suggest that something is shutting
you out of the shared pool - so the comments from
other posters about web applications and creating
sessions might be highly relevant.

There's a tale of woe here:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/kiddy_scripts.html#_Always_be_cautious_about_x$_and_v$
that might be of interest.

If this is relevant, then check the shared_pool_reserved_size.
A connection needs a continguous chunk of about 26KB for
"session parameters" - so it is a good idea to create a
reserve that is set to a minimum of "sessions * 26KB" (plus
a few, or few dozen, MB for whatever you currently have in there)
so thatthese chunk eventually end up being allocated in the
reserve rather than causing a massive flushed on the rest of the pool.

Regards
Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com
http:/www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk