Re: Weird database hanging

  • From: Nigel Thomas <nigel_cl_thomas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sunil.kanderi@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 01:01:21 -0700 (PDT)

----- Original Message ----
From: Sunil Kanderi sunil.kanderi@xxxxxxxxx

.... We have lots of web applications running from that database and once in a
while there is a sudden spike in the number of connections from a Oracle user
related to one of the web applications and the concurrent connections for that
particular web application user jumps from 10 or 15 concurrent connections to
100s in less than a couple of minutes. The database and the server hang until
these connections are cleared. At times we cannot even get a connection to the
server when this happens. I usually don't see any alerts in the alert log when
this happens.

Sunil

From this, I can't say why you see the initial slowdown - but I can say it is
common for connection pools to behave suicidally when faced with a slow down.
Traffic piling into the connection pool causes an explosion in the number of
connections - and there's nothing like a flood of new connections to make the
traffic jam worse. See
http://preferisco.blogspot.com/2007/02/avoiding-application-suicide-by-session.html.

Regards Nigel