Webinar June 3 - Mike Stonebraker on SQL "Urban Myths"

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 12:02:12 -0700

I thought this might be of interest to folks on this list.

 Please join us on Thursday June 3rd at 4PM Eastern time to hear database
R&D pioneer and VoltDB CTO, Mike Stonebraker, share his latest thoughts on
the state of SQL DBMS technology and practices.

*Register to
attend<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?VoltDB/a28097f0e6/7971897b32/14394e98ea>
*

He will discuss and compare a variety of DBMS performance and scalability
options such as distributed DBMS, distributed caching, key-value stores,
in-memory DBMS and others.

Specifically, he will address the following "Urban Myths" about SQL:

Myth #1: SQL is too slow, so use a lower level interface
Myth #2: I don’t need a higher level interface, so why bother with SQL?
Myth #3: Suppose I like a Key-Value store interface, then SQL is a
non-starter
Myth #4: SQL systems don’t scale
Myth #5: There are no open source, scalable SQL engines
Myth #6: ACID is too slow, so avoid using it
Myth #7: in CAP the theorem, choose AP over CA

*Register to
attend<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?VoltDB/a28097f0e6/7971897b32/551ab0824d>
*

*About Mike Stonebraker*
Dr. Mike Stonebraker has been a pioneer of data base research and technology
for more than a quarter of a century. He was the main architect of the
INGRES relational DBMS, and the object-relational DBMS, POSTGRES. Presently
he is also a co-founder of Vertica Systems, SciDB and Goby Corporation.

Professor Stonebraker is the author of scores of research papers on data
base technology, operating systems and the architecture of system software
services. He was awarded the IEEE John Von Neumann award in 2005, and is
presently an Adjunct Professor of Computer Science at M.I.T. Mike
Stonebraker was elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 1997, and
was awarded the first annual Innovation award by the ACM SIGMOD special
interest group in 1994. He was awarded the ACM System Software Award in
1992, for his work on INGRES.

  VoltDB
8 Federal St
Billerica, MA 01821

Read <http://www.verticalresponse.com/content/pm_policy.html> the VR for
AppExchange marketing policy.
  [image: Try Email Marketing with VerticalResponse!]
<http://www.verticalresponse.com/landing/?mm//a28097f0e6>