Re: WebForms = Developer Forms + Reports?

  • From: Leslie Tierstein <leslie_tierstein@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 07:58:21 -0700 (PDT)

Short answer -- storing forms/reports in the database and running them over the
internet is not supported.

You don't say what version of forms/reports you have? Is it 6i?

What speed is your internet connection? If it's fast enough, you could put the
forms/reports on an centralized file server and have the users' shortcuts
access that. Another alternative people have tried and gotten to work (although
Oracle doesn't certify it) is running the forms/reports through Citrix.
However, Citrix has its own scalability and licensing (cost) issues.

At one point we were running an 8.1.7 database with webforms and reports over
the web using a 9iAS application server also on a Win2K db server (and a Win2k
app server). You could check if 8.1.5 works with 9iAS as well and if the
customer has the software. If so, no upgrade to the Oracle software would be
necessary. But it would still be a non-negligible amount of work to get the
forms and reports to work over the web via the App Server. (This has been well
documented via numerous White Papers on OTN.)

There is a forms listserv hosted by ODTUG (Oracle Development Tools User
Group). (http://www.odtug.com). You could try posting this message there and
see if anyone comes up with anything.

Leslie