Warm Backup/Restore of 9.2.0.5 Temporary tablespaces

  • From: Ray Stell <stellr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:55:57 -0400

These notes indicate that you do not backup temp ts:

Note:167056.1 ("Alter Tablespace Begin Backup" on a Temporary Tablespace Fails
with ORA-03217)
Note:167135.1 (How to Incorporate Locally Managed Temporary Tablespaces into
the Backup Strategy)

So, I drop and recreate the temp ts on a test restore machine.

How is the default temp ts supposed to be recovered?  I can drop and
recreate other temp ts, but not the default defined at db creation
time:

SQL> drop tablespace TEMP including contents;
drop tablespace TEMP including contents
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-12906: cannot drop default temporary tablespace

and I can't back it up with the warm backup commands, per the notes above:

SQL> alter tablespace temp begin backup;
alter tablespace temp begin backup
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-03217: invalid option for alter of TEMPORARY TABLESPACE

How should this ts be handled to complete a recovery from a warm backup?
The db restores, but does not seem all together correct:

on production I have this ts and datafile, the default temp ts:

SQL>select TABLESPACE_NAME, FILE_NAME, bytes from DBA_TEMP_FILES;

TABLESPACE_NAME      FILE_NAME                                BYTES
-------------------- ---------------------------------------- ----------
TEMP                 /db05/oradata/dbx/temp01.dbf         41943040

but on the recovery db I have no datafile included in the recovery:

SQL> select TABLESPACE_NAME, FILE_NAME, bytes from DBA_TEMP_FILES where
TABLESPACE_NAME = 'TEMP';

no rows selected

even though this tablespace does exist:

SQL> select TABLESPACE_NAME, STATUS from dba_tablespaces where TABLESPACE_NAME
like '%TEM%';

TABLESPACE_NAME                STATUS
TEMP                           ONLINE

I moved the file over, but it seems I need some magic to make the
ts usable.  Is it just me, or has Oracle Corp really made a mess
here.  They don't seem to document a good recovery process.