RE: WAS:A Challenge

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 10:57:42 -0800

it was a trick question. It is impossible
to focus in on the I/O latency of specific
background processes like LGWR, DBWR much
less aggregate their specific I/O characteristics
across nodes of a cluster...

impossible, that is, without mxodmstat(8)
as I describe starting on page 13 of this
paper: http://www.polyserve.com/pdf/VMDB_BC.pdf

reading only the ODM section of that paper makes
people see just what they are missing

yes..it is a shameless plug, but it is a technology
solution to what a lot of people see as a problem in
RAC environments..it is a single database, but you monitor
the instances as separate entities by and large.

We focus on the ability to both aggregate fine-grained
information like LGWR only or PQO only, as well as
drill down...

Helps when you have a libarary that Oracle links with :-)