Re: VmWare

  • From: Tim Hall <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 18:42:06 +0000

Hi.

Following on from what Niall said, people are acting like this
announcement is a big deal. All the announcement says is Oracle will
now accept SRs for RAC related issues on VMware. There is no actual
change in policy about how they will react to any SRs relating to
VMware. You can still get left holding the baby if they push you back
to VMware support, whether you are on single instance or RAC.

It should also be noted there is no change to licensing on VMware
either. If you have a 32 core box and you only allocate a single core
to a VM running Oracle, you still have to pay a 32 core license. If
you are consolidating several DB servers onto a single box this isn't
a big deal. If you were planning to use half a box for DB and half a
box for app servers you will be paying twice the licensing for each
product than you think you should.

Regardless of this announcement and your preferences for
virtualization products, the only x86 software virtualization solution
that I would consider truly supported and that conforms with Oracle's
per-core licensing is Oracle VM (provided you bind the VMs to CPUs
properly).

http://wiki.oracle.com/page/Hard+partitioning

If you use anything else, be prepared for a rough ride if you meet any new bugs.

Bye the way, there have been VMware issues in the past. I remember the
whole system time drift and how it affected older versions of RAC.
Also, VMware not reporting system wait times properly. As much as I
want to hate Oracle for not fully supporting VMware (and other
virtualization solutions) I can kinda see their point.

Cheers

Tim...