Re: Virtualbox images for EM 12c, DataGuard, RAC, GoldenGate / run multiple simultaneous OL5 images on Win7?

  • From: Dana Nibby <dananrg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 04:54:20 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you Hans and Niall. Lots of great info and resources to process and
investigate. I've always loved how open Oracle is with making its products
available gratis for learning / educational purposes / professional
development. I love GIS technology for example. But the dominant vendor in that
space doesn't offer full, free downloads of its software (neither client or
server) for professional development / learning. Too little competition? May be
time to start looking more closely at Oracle Spatial to keep my geospatial
chops current. The other vendor's technology is wonderful. But it seems
increasingly less worthwhile to bother keeping current in that space given how
difficult it is to access their technology for learning purposes.
Guess it's also time to build that 6 or 8 core, 16G RAM mid-tower desktop
sandbox I'd abandoned in favor of the laptop. More resources to play with. I've
seen incredibly good deals lately on this type of AMD-based barebones system
(USD ~$400). I really don't need the faster CPU core clock speeds Intel
provides. So the AMD systems are just fine as sandboxes. Just need lots of
assignable cores and RAM. Had no idea EM 12c was so resource greedy.

For shared disk (RAC), what do folks recommend for a home Oracle sandbox /
learning "shop"? I have a 2TB USB 3.0 Seagate Expansion external HD (USD $100 @
Target = cheap) for imaging. But no NAS. What's a good value consumer-grade NAS
that would be sufficient for RAC? By good value I mean USD ~$200. Preferably a
lot less. Don't need lots of space. And performance isn't really an issue here
because it's the relative differences in performance I'm interested in (e.g.
gaining more tuning expertise, etc).

Hans you wrote:
> Bare metal?  Do you mean, does it provide it's own Dom0?  Nope.  Like
> VMWare Workstation, VirtualBox requires a host operating system - Mac,
> Win or Linux.

Thanks and yes. I may be thinking of Citrix Xen. Anyone use the free version of
Xen for Oracle virtualization in a learning / educational context?

Best,

Dana