RE: Virtualbox images for EM 12c, DataGuard, RAC, GoldenGate / run multiple simultaneous OL5 images on Win7?

  • From: "Taylor, Chris David" <ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Hans Forbrich' <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 09:23:50 -0500

Regarding the logon as a batch job, that's required on Windows Server
installations as well (Windows Server 2003, 2008).  To me, that's part of
installing Oracle on Windows as configuring Kernel parameter on Linux is part
of installing Oracle on Linux.  It's a necessary step in the install.

*However* I do see your point there because group policy editing is not as easy
on Windows 7 Home as it is on Windows server - I had forgotten about that.

Typically I don't use database control and automatic maintenance jobs as the
Oracle server on my laptop is more for playing with the advanced options such
as partitioning, spatial etc.  Nothing on my laptop Oracle version I can't
recreate easily so I don't spend time treating it as I would a production db.
I use sqldeveloper, Toad, sqlplus and command line utilities for 99% of my
activities so dbcontrol is not needed.

So, I can see your point if you're going to want some of those features for
some reason.

Good discussion.

Chris Taylor

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort."
-- John Ruskin (English Writer 1819-1900)

Any views and/or opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily
reflect the views of Ingram Industries, its affiliates, its subsidiaries or its
employees.