Re: Virtualbox images for EM 12c, DataGuard, RAC, GoldenGate / run multiple simultaneous OL5 images on Win7?

  • From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Taylor, Chris David" <ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 06:55:09 -0600

On 20/06/2012 6:09 AM, Taylor, Chris David wrote:
> "None of the Oracle 'server' products play nicely with any Windows 'Home'
> variant."
>
> How so?  I have both 10.2 and 11.2 versions running on my Windows 7 home
> edition.  And I don't remember any problems with my XP box.  (Other than the
> -ignoresysprereqs flag needed to get the installer to quit squawking about
> kernel versions)

Simple, out-of-the-box install on a raw Windows 7 Home install?  Or
using install workarounds like setting the 'Run as Batch', and possibly
playing with network and group stuff, which is often not really
accessible in a native Windows Home install without some additional
utilities.

I know a number of people are in the "I have it working because I was
able to make it work" category.  But I've spent more than too-many-hours
helping people 'make it work' over the years, and now simply resort to
saying "while possible, it doesn't play nicely - yoyo".

Oracle's documentation implicitly excludes the 'Home' variants by
listing only the Pro (and higher where applicable) for a reason.