Re: Virtual Memory

  • From: David Turner <dnt9000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003@xxxxxxx>, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:26:52 -0700 (PDT)

How did you measure this free real memory and virtual memory?

 ++ top
 ++ Memory: 8192M real, 2301M free, 4947M swap in use, --->  689M swap free

Which columns from which tools output?

A decent OS shouldn't start paging much before it starts running out of
physical memory, but there are few things which could affect this. Solaris
zones could be one thing I guess.

As solaris /tmp filesystem is usually a in-memory filesystem which can be
paged out to pagefile, then maybe this is your issue - check if you got a
lot of files in /tmp filesystem.

 ++ I really didn't see much in /tmp

 Appreciate the help, Dave

Tanel.