RE: Version of Oracle Database without connecting to the database.

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>, <fuadar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 17:53:12 -0500

Are we allowed to connect to the server and know which oracle binary file is
running or set $PATH the way it would be after . oraenv is run?

Then, for example,

strings `which oracle` | grep Release | grep 'Oracle Database' | grep -v %

will report a string like: Oracle Database 11g Release 11.1.0.0.0 -
Production

I think this works pretty far back, but I haven't tested it except on 11g
today.

Of course this probably requires more horsepower than connecting and
selecting from v$instance, but maybe you're not concerned about the
horsepower.

Just be sure you don't look at any of those strings you might see without a
tight grep filter or you might be "reverse engineering the product."

I would never look at the strings in the Oracle binary, of course, and I
just guessed that 'Oracle Database' and Release would scope it down for you.
(And I figured you didn't want the one with the format string, just the
literal text one..)

Regards,

mwf

  _____