Version of Oracle Database without connecting to the database.

  • From: Fuad Arshad <fuadar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 08:45:27 -0700 (PDT)

Folks,
I'm trying to find a way to script finding  an approximation of the version of
the database without connecting to the database itself.
The goal is to try to find out of the Oracle_home is a Oracle 10 home , 9 home
etc .

right now i'm doiing something like
DATAVERSION1=`echo $ORACLE_HOME | awk -F/ '{print $6}'`
expecting that $6  would lead me to something like
/usr/local/oracle/product/10.2

but this is not a very foolproof implementation since installs can take various
forms and break this implementation.

Any ideas of how i can get the oracle version info considering that i  will
always know the value of $ORACLE_HOME.