Re: Veritas global replicator

  • From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dnt9000@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:30:02 +0200

David,

Are you using Data Guard now? Or are it  just the specs that pleas you?

If you are using Data Guard: what requirements not met make you think of
something else? It depends severely on your requirements what solution
will suit you.

When you have unlimited bandwith and zero latency, storage replication
might help, otherwise I do not know of a product/solution that is less
demanding (bandwidth, resources on primary) whilst  more offering
(delayed redo application, opening for read/only) than Data Guard. A
drawback can be the licensing issue, the standby needs to be fully
licensed.

Storage replication needs to forward redo (redundant), datafiles and
archives, often on a less granular scale than just plain disk blocks.
Data Guard/hot standby just sends the redo. A delay in archival
application has saved some of my customers quite nicely from a lot of
work.

Find out your needs first. Make an inventory of causes for outages and
disasters first, then decide how to deal with them (or not if that is
too expensive. Let the mgmt. decide about that, don't take that burden
yourself). High Availability shouldn't be driven by nice (read:
well-marketed) products, but by requirements and good solutions.

Best regards, Carel-Jan

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 00:03, David Turner wrote:

> Has anyone used veritas' global replicator? We are
> will be comparing it with Oracle Dataguard and I was
> curious if anyone could point me to good info on it or
> tell me your experience with the product? So far I've
> been pleased with Dataguard.
>
> Also if there are other products you recommend more
> for georedundant failover that would be appreciated.
>
> Thx, Dave
>

> __________________________________
> Discover Yahoo!
> Have fun online with music videos, cool games, IM and more. Check it out!
> http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html
> --
> //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l

===