Re: Veritas file locking

  • From: Paul Drake <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bunjibry@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 18:04:08 -0500

there are several ways to fix this. (in decreasing order of draconianess)

1. uninstall the win32 OS and install one of the supported Linux distros.
    do not install samba of any kind.
2. remote the server from the domain
    stop the server service for good measure and unbind NetBIOS from TCP/IP.
3. revoke access permissions from all "live" directories.
    create the backup sets on disk and have the backup software grab those.

nothing quite says "client site database issue" like a misconfigured
backup job that decides that its going to lock a controlfile during a
backup. puke.

those fuzzy backups of an open database not in hot backup mode or not
created by rman are likely worthless. have you ever had them restore a
controlfile that was open and active from a backup set?

oh right, this is just backups, not backup/restore/recovery.

telling them that the restore/recovery part will fail may get their attention.

Paul

--
#/etc/init.d/init.cssd stop
# f=ma, divide by 1, convert to moles.