RE: Veritas CFS, QFS or RAW? Which for High Transaction Load on RAC with Solaris 10/Oracle 10g ?

  • From: fairlie rego <fairlie_r@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yasbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, VIVEK_SHARMA@xxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, dbagiri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 00:39:51 -0700 (PDT)

    Hi,

    We have a 6 node cluster on Solaris 64 bit 10.1.0.5 RAC and SFRAC 4.1
    We do something like 400 transactions/sec and around 500,000 logical
    reads/sec and are very much a production site with a db size of 1.5 Tb.

    Each node has 96Gb of RAM and 24 CPUs
    We have had a couple of issues with Veritas especially with odmstat but
other that life is good at the moment

    Thanks
    -Fairlie

Yasin Baskan <yasbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
                To use Veritas CFS with RAC they provide a package called SFRAC
(Storage Foundation for RAC). It includes a cluster server (VCS), a volume
manager (VVM) and a cluster file system (VCF). This is fully supported and
certified with RAC. As far as I know the current certified version is SFRAC
4.1, 5.0 is out, it may be also certified lately.

  QFS was not initially certified with RAC, I did not check if it is now, but I
do not know of any sites using it.

  I agree that ASM is still a new technology and i heard about some datafile
losses in ASM, I do not have the case, it can be just hearsay.

  If ASM is out of question, other than a cluster file system the only
remaining option is using RAW, for Solaris of course. We are currently using
RAC on raw devices on Solaris and we are in touch with Veritas to find out what
they offer extra other than the management easiness of a cluster file system.