Re: Veritas Backupexec vs. Networker

  • From: "Gene Sais" <Gsais@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Paula_Stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:24:11 -0400

Just a thought.  I backup to disk from midnight to 6am all databases.
The SysAdmin picks the backups from disk starting at 6am.  I only need
the tape copy when I need an older version.  I rarely go to tape.  Using
this method, I maintain control of schedules, backups, restores, etc.
The SysAdmins love it.  Disk storage is cheap.  I do this for 27
databases on 100gb storage.

BTW, we also left Legato for TSM.  Not sure if the grass is greener on
the other side :).
>>> <Paula_Stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 9/17/2004 9:02:04 AM >>>

Guys,

Our system admins. are considering Vertias Backupexec for the Oracle =
backups which we have been doing with RMAN and Networker.  We basically
=
use Networker solely for media management and the system admins. manage
=
that part.  All of the scheduling and mainta. is done by dba's and
using =
Oracle, crontab, RMAN.  The weakest link consistently has been =
Networker, tapes...

Now they are considering Veritas Backupexec.  Can that be setup just to
=
be a link in the same way Networker has.  I am concerned with having
the =
system admins. take over this part as again RMAN has been the stable =
part of the backups.  Plus I have heard some things about the Veritas
=
Backupexec for SQL Server not working reliably with large backups.

Any opinions?