Re: Varitas Cluster Software + Oracle Clusterware Installation

  • From: Dan Norris <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gulzar.arif@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 13:45:28 -0700 (PDT)

If you just want a failover cluster (single-instance database that runs on one
server at any given time), then VCS can handle that by itself (no need for
Oracle Clusterware).

If you're building an Oracle RAC cluster, you'll install VCS (actually, SFOR)
first and then install Oracle Clusterware. You *must* have Oracle
Clusterware--it is not optional. However, the "magic" is that when Oracle
Clusterware is installed "on top" of VCS, it detects VCS and integrates with it
by delegating cluster membership duties and authority to VCS.

Short answer: for RAC, yes, you need both. For failover, VCS is fine by itself.

Dan