Re: VPD vs multiple schems vs multiple instance

  • From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dubey.sandeep@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 16:50:27 -0500

Sandeep

I would advocate separate instances for the following reasons:
 1. Easier security.
 2. When downtime is required, easier to meet each client's needs.
 3. When Oracle needs patched or upgraded, easier to deal with each client.
 4. If you decide to move a client to another server, easily done.

For example, one client insists an Oracle patch be applied
immediately. Another client insists that they can't possibly accept
the downtime required. With a single instance, you are forced to
choose between clients. With separate instances you can treat clients
independently.
There are advantages to a single instance from a shared pool
perspective. However, in my experience the frustrations outweigh that
gain.

Dennis Williams