Re: VPD aware replication ideas?

  • From: David Mann <dmann99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Job Miller <jobmiller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 21:44:10 -0400

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Job Miller <jobmiller@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> David,
>
> As you indicated, VPD policies are based on traditional access.  I think you
> are aware of all the ways.
>
> The only way to replicate data based on the existing VPD policies would be
> to do "SELECT" statements to get the policies enforced to define what data
> gets replicated.  If it is an ETL tool doing the select or an MV refresh job
> doing the select, assuming the login sets the context needed by your VPD
> policies, only the appropriate data will select.
>
> If you want to replicate subsets of data, you can use GG as you mention, but
> you'll be defining the replication policies in GG logic so that GG knows
> what data with what keys/labels goes to which system in real time.
>
> I don't see an easy way out for you that enables you to take advantage of
> the existing VPD based policies.  How big are these data sets?
> Could you do full refreshes of all subset tables in the 2 hour time window
> you have or do you need real-time / incremental feeds to keep up?

Thanks for the confirmation, just wanted to make sure there wasn't
anything I was missing.

I hashed through the alternatives with the project team and as usual
there is no 'best choice'.

We are leaning towards doing a small POC with GoldenGate right now
with the caveat that we will be on the hook for duplicating VPD logic
somewhere in the processing, either in an Extract or Replicat
parameter file. GoldenGate really shines at near-real-time replication
and this was a major reason for it coming out on top.

We are able to get the source code for the VPD policies, right now
they seem to be simple CUSTOMERID=123 types of predicates. I will make
sure to include as a risk that if the VPD policies get any more
complicated than they are now that we may be hard pressed to translate
into something GG Parameter-file friendly.

-Dave

--
Dave Mann
www.brainio.us