Re: VMs on SSDs or 7500 rpm SATAs?

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 09:23:38 -0600 (CST)

Chris writes:

> I'm trying to gauge the impact of having virtual disks sitting in SSD (thru
> a VM app) and those disks having some amount of write activity - and perhaps
> I'm overanalyzing.  Maybe I would need a larger capacity disk before I
> started wearing out an SSD?  These would be lab setups for my own testing of
> upgrades etc.

Having had my one and only experience with an SSD that lasted just under 1
year, I'm not very fond of them now.  Or at least consumer-grade MLC SSDs.

On the plus side, I've closed a gap the SSD failure happily found in my home
server backups and I have a never-opened replacement Kingston SSD from the
warranty.  Maybe I'll donate it to a museum in 10 years.

Thought someone should add a little "Paranoid DBA" rain on the SSD parade...
 ;)

With the number of drives you're talking about, it sounds like a desktop
tower instead of a laptop.  My next purchase for the home server will
probably be an Intel SASUC8I RAID card (LSI controller).  It's "only" 3Gb/s,
but that should be just fine for a home/lab environment, no?  My fast/noisy
10K Raptors should work well and still be cheaper than equivalent SSD
storage.

Power?  Noise?  Well...not too sure on the power...

Rich

Disclaimer: Newegg has the RAID controller for ~$160 and 250GB Raptors for
$110 (500GB $150).