RE: VMotion as failover solution

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LS Cheng <exriscer@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 16:39:19 +0000

I think that's almost right except that vMotion itself doesn't provide
automatic failover - you need their HA product specifically for that and from
my understanding they consider vMotion and HA to be two separate things
although they may be bundled together depending on what package you buy.  The
diagram at the link below shows that vMotion is included with "vSphere
Standard", but you have to buy "vSphere Enterprise" to get their "High
Availability" and "Fault Tolerance" products:
http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere/mid-size-and-enterprise-business/buy.html

Here is another link that might help clarify the differences:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1864497

You'd probably be best speaking with one of their sales people (and have them
include a tech resource too if possible) to get the details for your specific
situation.

Regards,
Brandon