RE: VMWARE's virtualization and processor licensing

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jed_Walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Jed_Walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 08:18:59 -0700

I don't work for Oracle, but based on their policy posted in MOS Doc ID
249212.1 and my personal experience working with Oracle Support for issues on a
VMWare system, I would reword that - changing "will" to "may":

"If you have an issue and are running on VMWare you *MAY* need to prove that
you can reproduce the issue running on physical dedicated hardware to get full
support."

In my experience, I've never been asked to reproduce an issue on physical
hardware.  I would only expect that to be the case if you came across a new
issue and no solution could be readily found on VMWare, or there was some
evidence indicating that VMWare was causing the issue.

Regards,
Brandon