RE: VIRUS ALERT, do not open attached ZIP file from Oracle-Lmember

  • From: "Ron Rogers" <RROGERS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 10:53:23 -0400

Dick,
 I fear that the reference to spam could end email as we know it is a
reasonable truth.
 Our email allows us to block on the sender@URL or the whole URL. Each
day I add 5 or more
URL's to the block list. The last time I check the ipswitch site there
were over 14,000 known
email spammer addresses that I could download and install in our mail
server. The admin is
looking into getting such a list or software and installing it.
 The virus detection program catches many infected emails each day. Who
would have
thought that you could make a career out of managing email at a company
of 250 employees, go figure.

The snail mail spam is great for starting the fireplace in the winter
and thats about it.
Ron

>>> DGoulet@xxxxxxxx 07/09/2004 10:18:39 AM >>>
Ron,

        True, but the amount of trash mail I get at home via the snail
is =
miniscule compared to the electronic variety and it never tries to =
infect you with something or steal your passwords.  And it never tries
=
to spoof someone else's identity.  I fear that if Spam and all other =
forms of junk e-mail aren't curtailed somehow, that will be the end of
=
e-mail.  Heck, as of Monday my company is blocking individuals from =
accessing their personal e-mail systems, like Yahoo Mail, because of
all =
the virus traffic.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA