RE: VIRUS ALERT, do not open attached ZIP file from Oracle-L member

  • From: Michael Thomas <mhthomas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 07:20:16 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

If I remember, it was long ago since I've seen it
done, the spoofer might need access to the mail server
host. Given access to the mail server host its
trivial.

So, you might suggest to your SA that their mail
server host access is compromised. And, worse than
that it might be compromised by someone launching MS
viruses (which might not alert on xNIX antivirus, if
any).

The McAfee message log from the email says:
08/07/2004      9:37 PM Deleted W2KSERV123\Administrator
J:\temp\Cache\FC3999B4d01       W32/Bagle.gen!pwdzip
08/07/2004      9:37 PM Deleted W2KSERV123\Administrator
C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP\olriiivt
W32/Bagle.gen!pwdzip

HTH. Good luck catching up with them. :-)

Regards,

Mike