RE: VB Access to Oracle Database

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 10:21:01 -0500 (CDT)

Hey Sanjay,

Two things:

First, run a spyware checker on the problem PC.  I've seen spyware that
somehow affected Oracle client connections.  To be fair, SQL*Plus was also
affected on that machine, but it's a place to start and spyware is rarely a
good thing to have on a PC.

Second, grab a copy of the excellent Filemon utility from
http://sysinternals.com (now redirected to and owned by MS).  It's under the
"Process Utilities" link.  Run this on the problem client before you start
the problematic app.  Filter out all of the background stuff like
explorer.exe, system processes, and virus scanners so that there's little or
no output being displayed.  Then fire up the app and watch the Filemon
output.

It may take several iterations of this to get the filter setup correctly,
but once you do, you should have thousands of lines of output to sift
through.  Look for all files in the Oracle client that are being accessed.
This can be overwhelming and somewhat confusing at first, but you may just
find your answer.  I found it helpful to compare the output to one taken
from a successful Oracle access on another PC.

For the problem I had, Filemon saw that there was a rogue v8.0.5 oci.dll in
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 (should have been in the ORACLE_HOME tree, so it didn't
get removed prior to 10g client install) that was causing this 10g client to
fail.  If I remember correctly (don't quote me on this), SQL*Plus or at
least TNSPING worked correctly, but the VB programs did not.

HTH!  GL!  Let us know what you find!

Rich

On 07/10/2007, Sanjay Mishra <smishra_97@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    I had a weird situation where I had 3 PC and Oracle 10g Client is
    installed on them. I had installed one of the VB application on all three
    connecting to Oracle 10g DB.

    One PC is able to read the Service correctly and connect to the database
    while others are not

    THere is only One Oracle Home on them

    Sqlplus work fine in connecting to the Database and So TNS Service or
    alias are correct

    I tried to trace parameter in sqlnet.ora but found that only Sqlplus
    connection is only creating Trace file while there is no trace file created
    with VB Access which look like that it is not reading the Tnsnames.

    No Oracle errors except database does not exist

    I had also added TNS_ADMIN in environment pointing to OH/network/admin

    Any other suggestion

    TIA
    Sanjay