RE: Using a DNS alias for Oracle Names Server

  • From: Jared.Still@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 15:07:22 -0800

Thanks John, that is very useful information.

No, I don't have a names repository. I have worked with it
at a previous employer, but there was no requirement for
it here.

Jared

John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 03/01/2004 11:21 AM
 Please respond to oracle-l

        To:     "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: Using a DNS alias for Oracle Names Server

Jared,

I have been using DNS aliases for both Primary and Secondary Name servers
for the past 6 years and have seen no problems (assuming no _DNS problems_
!!) In fact, both my aliases have been meaningful names such as
"XXORANS01" and "XXORANS02" (substitute XX with a prefix of your choice).
This has helped me change servers around with no problems at all.

However, note if you have a Names Repository (and I would assume you do)
that you will have to specifically update <schema>.ONRS_REGION table for
rows that may contain the actual hostname. [i.e. do review the contents of
this table]

John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)

Grace - Getting something we do NOT deserve
Mercy - NOT getting something we DO deserve
Click on 'http://www.needhim.org' for Grace and Mercy that is freely available!

** The opinions and facts contained in this message are entirely mine and
do not reflect those of my employer or customers **