Re: Using VMWare 2.0.2

  • From: "Alessandro Vercelli" <alever@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "robertgfreeman" <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 19:40:31 +0100

To enable grub, these steps could work:

1.After booting the media in rescue mode, let the procedure search an existing
RHEL installation

2. If an RHEL installation is found, it should be mounted under /mnt/sysmage
and a shell is prompted

3. Code: chroot /mnt/sysimage
Now the RHEL installation is mounted in current environment

4. Check your local disk with fdisk -l

5. Code: grub-install <device>
<device> is the device-name (/dev/<some_device>) of the harddisk which contains
the root partition; example: if root partition is /dev/sda2, then run
grub-install /dev/sda

Unfortunately, without knowing what disks/partiotions are in the VM, my
suggestions make a lot of assumptions, but the worst you could obtain is a VM
that needs a reinstallation (which is already your most probable choise,
actually...:))).

Good work,

Alessandro