Using Service Names for database

  • From: Jeff C <backseatdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 11:43:03 -0800

Does anybody use or have experience with using multiple Service Names for
your database? Is this a normal thing people do?  I have a database that is
a mix of a bunch of different applications and I would like to better
identify them from database connection and so giving them their own service
name to connect to seems like the perfect fit.  One thing I did noticed
that we will have to be careful about is if you restore that database to
the same server with a different name and you don't change the service name
parameter then the listener will pick up that service name and your users
may be going to the restored database and not production.
Any other things to think about and/or is this a bad practice?

Thanks,
Jeff