Using RAC and ASM

  • From: Antonio Belloni <toni_belloni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 18:55:19 +0000 (GMT)

Hello,

We are plannig to install RAC and I read several
papers in Metalink and OTN regarding the installation
process. Almost all the papers says to install and
configure ASM with RAC, but none of them says or
explain why ASM is required to use RAC.

We have an IBM FastT SAN, configured following the
S.A.M.E principles. We are also using IBM GPFS as the
cluster file system.

So, Why do I must install ASM to manage the storage,
if the hardware/GPFS is doing this job ? Why pay the
extra cost of an aditional piece of software (ASM)
between the disks and the database, when I already
have something managing the storage to me ? Does RAC
works without ASM ? Or ASM is required to RAC work
properly ?

To me, seems that ASM is completely unnecessary. But I
wish to hear experiences from those who had
implemented RAC. Maybe there is some obscure feature
of RAC that works only over ASM.

Best Regards,
Antonio Belloni

http://br.yahoo.com/homepageset.html