Using OPTIMIZER_CAPTURE_SQL_PLAN_BASELINES=TRUE in Production

  • From: Chris Dunscombe <cdunscombe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 09:57:02 +0100 (BST)

Hi,
We've got a large RAC database where we've been using SPBs for about 6 months.
The SPBs were generated in the perf test environment and then migrated across.
There are still plenty of SQL statements in live that aren't using SPBs. Now
people are asking about setting

OPTIMIZER_CAPTURE_SQL_PLAN_BASELINES=TRUE

in production, we've run with setting in perf test with full volume testing and
not seen any obvious bad side effects. My natural reaction is to be cautious
and say no.

Am I being sensible, overly cautious or what? Anybody's experiences in this
area would be most welcome.

Version 11.2.0.3 on RHEL 5.6

Thanks very much,

Chris